I don't know if my friends from Remonstrans ever drop by over here, but if anyone sees this, I thank you all for sticking up for me. To everyone who was willing to say my name with understanding, whether you fully agreed or not: your kindness is prized.
5 comments:
Sister Alana,
I will say more later as I think more--one of the beartraps of blogging is the Enter key.
I am trying to understand all that you were trying to say, but do not want to use this space to discuss it.
My feeble attempts at being edgy brought on the comments such as: "sigh", "I profit from diss, but from you not so much," "you do not know whereof you speak..."--well you get the point. I am in no way skilled enough to pull that off without sounding unChristian...I was trying to deal ultimately with ideas, and attitudes. I am going to exegete your statements for the next some days, and will pick up my dialogue with you when ready. I am trying to understand your argumentation...
Lord's blessings as His day approaches...
Sam H
Dear Sam,
Please don't try too hard to "exegete" my comments on Remonstrans. It is enough for me that you are not misrepresenting my words. On the other hand my words can be difficult and perhaps there is nothing you can learn from me. I go to Remonstrans as a place where I can tell the truth about what I experienced and where I can interact with a teacher, Dissidens, and learn things from him that I'll get nowhere else.
I understand that those attempts at a certain style can go wrong. For my part, I felt vulnerable because I had taken down that comment. I felt it was the right thing to do but I was afraid it would be seen as weakness. So it seemed to me that you were just sensing that weakness, with your reference to lack of caution.
While I have no love for what I percieve as the fundamentalist ethos, I'm thrilled at the opportunity for friendship with other believers, whether in or out. My family is all in still. Just so we know where we stand.
Thanks for visiting.
Alana,
I followed the discussion also and I was compelled to write you. I am all too familiar with stories like the one you shared, but only because I have good friends who have escaped, not because I was ever subjected to the examples you provided. But sadly enough, I am not surprised at all.
I attend a church in the Milwaukee area, as well as spend much time ministering to a small group of believers who have come out of those circles. Are you and your family in a good church now? Because I heard the hurt in your posts and I want to shout from the rooftops that there are good churches in the greater Milwaukee area that aren't like this! It seems our church has become a refuge for the younger generation from these institutions, and you would be welcomed and embraced if you chose to visit us. That is, if you even live around here - which I gathered from the veiled references at Remonstrans that you might.
Anyway, take this as you will. I don't know if you are looking for balance, and I don't claim for us to be totally, but I wanted to let you know that there are places that seek to honor God without the trappings of fundamentalism and legalism.
Donette,
Thank you so very much for your care for us. We are actually looking at a more Traditional Way right now. Josh and I are checking out Annunciation over on Congress but I don't know how that will turn out.
Thanks again, I'd love to keep talking. Nice blog!
It seems we have some people and places in common. I attended MBBC, although it's been a few years now (about 6!) and we go to church with Scott and Jenni J. If you ever want to visit, you will at least know someone!
Tuck the thought away in the corner of your mind if you find yourself searching again.
Thanks!
Post a Comment