When my man defends my honor I feel the least I can do is to make him a special dinner. Last night, unfortunately, his burger was already burning in the pan when he walked in the door. Well, at least it was a Black Angus steakburger and as it turned out he likes his burgers blackened. We had onions, tomatoes, the usual condiments plus steak sauce, sea salt (the best kind) and cheese slices.
The burgers I cooked last night I bought pre-made because I got a deal on them. However my usual way of making hamburgers is a lot more complicated.
I mix bread crumbs with the meat so that the finished burger is not gorgly. Then I form the patties with a very large circumfrence and as thin as as they can exist without falling apart. Two of these super thin patties will go on each bun, with my special burger mix cooked between them.
The mix is as follows: chopped fresh cilantro, thin-sliced mushrooms, crumbled feta cheese (I always crumble my own feta) and green onions slices. I find I can either toss these in a bowl with catsup or place each ingredient in painstaking layers on the bottom patty, squirting the catsup over the whole. It really turns out very similarly in either case.
Once my two patties are in the pan, one on top of the other with the mix between them, I have to cook them slowly with water in the pan. This is to make sure that the stuff in the middle is thoroughly cooked, so it's safe.
I also toast the bun in the toaster oven or briefly sear the insides in hot butter in a frying pan.
My guests always rave about "my" burgers. Maybe later I'll talk about "my" tacos. Having a few good dinners up your sleeve is always a good idea when you are married to Sir Galahad.
No comments:
Post a Comment