Monday, August 27, 2007

Apple Cider

After simmering for about twelve hours, the powdered spices have taken on the heaviness of the liquid; just enough heat is ascending from the bottom of the saucepan to the top that you can observe a continual seductive revolution of the pulp of the apple cider mixed with the cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The orange peel is by this time laden so full it sits on the bottom; only its aroma and taste mixes with the rest. The red sugar crystals dissolved long ago leaving their rich color and sweetness behind. Your guests or children will be coming in out of the cold in about five minutes. Add a few drops of wine.

Hot Spiced Apple Cider is one of the best things about Fall.

If the cider comes straight from the press at one of these country road-side orchards, all the better. Also, spending a little more money on the spices is worth it. I recently upgraded from 99 cent Wal-Mart cinnamon to McCormick's Saigon Cinnamon (about four dollars). Everyone who comes over now has to sniff at the shaker bottle. It's heavenly. It's like growing up on Renee Flemming's staunch warbling and suddenly walking into a room where Kathleen Battle is in full flight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alana,

Your cider reminds me of all the good memories I have ever had, and is itself an enchanting potion which creates a good memory even at the moment I partake.

AR said...

Thanks, Sweetie. I'll make some more the next time it gets a little chilly.

I hope your spurs aren't clanking too loudly this morning. ;)

What is your status on this blog?