Today my 12-month old baby danced for the first time.
I turned on a recording of a Brahms violin concerto. His head whipped around at the first sound of the violin and then he began spinning, stepping in patterns, and wagging his head in a way that reminded me of some over-passionate string musicians I've known.
I've waltzed and otherwise danced while holding him, to music from spanish guitar or celtic harp, to Tannhauser overture. Daancing's the most instinctual way to "watch" the music, I think. It's everything from hand gestures to swaying in your seat to stepping in a more fluid way to spinning till you fall down laughing. And of course there are the more formal dances which I've always viewed with wonder.
Ian thinks that floating higher and lower in his Mum's arms to violin music is blissful.
And now that he's dancing on his own, I won't have anyone imagine a stolid march-like interpretation. My son uses a graceful dip-step of his own invention.
In fact he's been walking around that way for the past five days.
Hmmm...
4 comments:
Does the music make him "hgh?" Have you been putting vodka in his bottle again?
Sorry. I misspelled "high." um...is it misspelled or misspelt? Maybe I'd better stop now before I do worse.
No, I think his high comes from the constant repetition of the seventh page of the Purpose Driven Life, read aloud upside down WHILE he drinks his vodka bottle. The plan is to vaccinate him against alcoholism right from the start. Too bad PDL hadn't been written when I was a baby - maybe then I wouldn't be dealing with this debilitating disease of the appetite.
This is a Facebook joke, folks. I am not an alcoholic.
Post a Comment